01 October 2014

OctPoWriMo 1 - My Wings

Today's prompt asks us to think about escape, about breaking free of a chrysalis and flying. I started to think about Once Upon a Dream from Sleeping Beauty and Let me be Your Wings from Thumbelina, and I played with the sonnet form and adapted it and twisted it around a bit.

This is the story of how I fell in love with my husband Mark.

My Wings

Once I thought I knew what I would be,
But life does not come with a guarantee.
I had a plan: I did not need a man;
Then I met you, and through my soul you flew.

Suddenly, I could clearly see
That you had always been the one for me.
I know that dreams aren’t always what they seem,
But I know you, and what we have is true.

Your kiss awoke me and you set me free;
We soar together over land and sea;
I wear your ring and you are my wings;
I love you; I know you love me too.

Together we can do it all;
You will never let me fall.


6 comments:

  1. "I wear your ring and you are my wings;"

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet and lovely is this? Such an ode... so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Esther, this is beyond lovely, it heartens me to read these words. Thank you for sharing your love and how it makes you soar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is as sweet and as beautiful as you, my love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful, love-affirming poem! Sweetness and vulnerability. And strength!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...very sweet. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete