08 October 2019

OctPoWriMo 8 - Scent

Prompt: scent
Form: sonnet



Scent

Roses blooming in the summer rain
And coffee brewing just before the dawn;
A mug of steaming chocolate keeps me sane
When flowers, kittens, raindrops all are gone.

A turkey roasting and a pumpkin pie,
Bacon frying, pine logs in the stove.
Forests, rivers, mountains soothe my eye;
My nose prefers mint, cinnamon, and cloves.

When I’m feeling sad or lost or blue
I remember all my favourite things:
A whiff of favoured smell can bring me through
And lift me up on reminiscent wings.

If I were blind and deaf I’d be content,
But I could not enjoy life without scent.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great two scents worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem reminds me of that song, "My favorite things". Scents seems to take the express train directly to memories in our brain. Precious direct lines.
    JadeLi @ http://tao-talk.com

    ReplyDelete