26 July 2013

The Philosophy of John Locke: Sherlock Fanfics

There is a thing in Sherlock fanfiction called "Johnlock." It means that the writer has created some kind of romantic plot/subplot pairing the two main characters. It's like when Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie get called "Brangelina." Now, I don't think Johnlock makes a lot of sense. It is very difficult to write Sherlock being romantic without him being wildly out of character, and I really, really hate when one my favourite characters is written wrong.

However, the (non)word "Johnlock" was bugging me with its familiarity. Something told me that I had heard it before, years ago. Then, I remembered: in university, I studied an English philosopher named John Locke. The pronunciation is the same, or at least so similar as to make no difference.

Now, my brain doesn't work the way other people's brains work. Most people who don't like Johnlock fanfics would never consider doing what I decided to do. I decided to write some Sherlock "John Locke" fanfiction. Yes, I know I'm weird. Normal is boring.

I went on brainyquote.com and looked up John Locke quotes. I was delighted to find seven that fit perfectly. I proceeded to write a 150 word "one-shot" for each of them. I posted these on Archive of Our Own (AO3) as a series, and on FanFiction.net as seven separate stories as that site has few options. If you're interested, links are below.

The pictures link to AO3, and I couldn't seem to get them to open in a new tab/window. Sorry about that. The text links below should open in a new tab/window though.


"I have always thought the actions of men the best interpreters of their thoughts."
~John Locke


"An excellent man, like precious metal, is in every way invariable; A villain, like the beams of a balance, is always varying, upwards and downwards."
~John Locke


"All men are liable to error; and most men are, in many points, by passion or interest, under temptation to it."
~John Locke


"One unerring mark of the love of truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant."
~John Locke


"Reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours."
~John Locke


"The dread of evil is a much more forcible principle of human actions than the prospect of good."
~John Locke


"I have spent more than half a lifetime trying to express the tragic moment."
~John Locke

The Philosophy of John Locke on AO3
Part 1: Details
Part 2: Variable
Part 3: Errors
Part 4: Proof
Part 5: Thinking
Part 6: Breathing
Part 7: Missing

The Philosophy of John Locke on FFnet
Part 1: Details
Part 2: Variable
Part 3: Errors
Part 4: Proof
Part 5: Thinking
Part 6: Breathing
Part 7: Missing

1 comment:

  1. Excellent John Locke quotes compilation. I have collected many quotes from you. Thanks for sharing!! You may like- http://www.quoteschart.com/John-Locke-quotes

    ReplyDelete