Buy me a coffee

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Trending on this blog

My Books

Esther Spurrill Jones's books on Goodreads

My Pinboards

Follow Me on Pinterest

Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Esther has read 11 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Catalogue

Writers Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Scribophile

Scribophile, the online writing group for serious writers

Blog Archive

Esther Spurrill Jones. Powered by Blogger.
26 October 2016
Today's prompt is abandonment. When I started writing, it just kind of came out a Petrarchan sonnet for some reason. Since I have never been abandoned, I used the theme in a tongue in cheek way. This sonnet is dedicated to my husband, Mark. The quote in line two is Dido, and the one in line 5 is from Dante.

I Am Done For

I swear that I will never leave, my dear;
There will be no white flag above my door;
I will be in love forevermore;
I vow that I will never disappear.
“All hope abandon ye who enter here.”
Each time I look at you, I am done for;
All other men (and women) I ignore.
I love you—just in case that isn’t clear.
I plan to sleep beside you when we’re old
And, probably, I’ll steal the covers still.
You know that you don’t really feel the cold
And I already often do get chilled.
Wrap me in your arms, tightly ahold;
Of you I never will get all my fill.


0 comments: