Buy me a coffee

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Trending on this blog

My Books

Esther Spurrill Jones's books on Goodreads

My Pinboards

Follow Me on Pinterest

Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Esther has read 11 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Catalogue

Writers Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Scribophile

Scribophile, the online writing group for serious writers
Esther Spurrill Jones. Powered by Blogger.
09 June 2012
When it comes to writing, I've always leaned more towards being a pantser. I often have something of an outline in my head, but I've never written one out on paper. However, I've also never finished a novel. For Camp NaNoWriMo, I've been writing all over the place--I have the story in my head, and I write whatever scene grabs me each day. Ergo: not in order. I realized that I have no idea how it's going to end, and I'm not even sure what order some of these scenes should go in. So today, I got some index cards, and I sat down with a pen and wrote one scene on each card. (I haven't written some of these scenes yet, so this also helped me know what I still need to write.) Then I shuffled them around until I figured out what order they should be. I looked at the last card, and realized that could be the ending of the novel!
I will never be the type of writer who creates a detailed outline of all plot points, but I realized today that some structure appeals to me. I'll probably use this method when writing future manuscripts as well.
What about you? What method works for you? Do you need a detailed outline? Do you--like me--need a little bit of structure to help you know where you're going? Or do you just fly by the seat of your pants?

3 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

I am a plotter, but most of my outlines aren't all that detailed. Perhaps a sentence or two for each scene/chapter along with some character and world notes.

T.B McKenzie said...

I completed Dragon and the Crow by pantsing it. But when it came to the two sequels, I have found I must plan.

There is always room to go crazy, but a chapter outline is like paycheck -- it keeps you working.

Alos, turn off your captcha thingo -- no point making it harder to comment.

Esther Spurrill-Jones said...

I didn't even realize that stupid captcha thing was on. Killing it now. So sorry.